German security specialist Avira recently announced that it is offering WebGuard, a safe-surfing component, free to millions of customers of its Avira AntiVir Personal Free Antivirus software as part of its Service Pack 2 (SP 2) upgrade. This WebGuard browsing protection tool was previously available only to customers of Avira’s paid security software, Avira AntiVir Premium and Avira Premium Security Suite.
A full list of SP 2 enhancements include:
- Enhanced Detection and Protection
SP2 taps into the latest research on behavior-based and heuristic detection, which catches undiscovered malware according to the way the code looks and acts.
- Enhanced Repair Functionality
Generic Repair and One-Click Removal functionality have been enhanced for comprehensive cleaning of the hard drive as well as the registry in the event of an infection.
- Improved Rootkit Detection
SP2 adds extra functionalities for more aggressive tracking of hidden malware.
- Improved Usability of WebGuard
Avira WebGuard offers an expanded notification page whenever it blocks a harmful website.
- Expanded Scan Log
When running a system scan, a more detailed report is now available upon completion of the scan.
- Avira SearchFree Toolbar
SearchFree Toolbar uses the Ask.com back-end search engine and features a status indicator to help users keep their WebGuard version current. The toolbar works with Internet Explorer and Firefox web browsers.
- Improved Product Documentation
More detailed help files and user manuals are included for those who like to read the fine print.
Avira’s SP 2 update will be made available as a product update to all customers, paid and free. However, only free customers will be asked to install WebGuard, which comes with an Avira SearchFree Toolbar. SearchFree Toolbar works on Internet Explorer and Firefox web browsers and it is essentially the Ask toolbar with Avira-related status information to help users keep their WebGuard version current (it’ll tell you whether WebGuard is running, and if the program needs updating). Customers have a choice to confirm the WebGuard and toolbar installations, while WebGuard component will be only available as long as the new Avira Toolbar is installed.
Download Avira AntiVir Personal Free Antivirus Software with WebGuard Protection Integration: Link
If you already have Avira AntiVir Personal Free Antivirus Software installed, you can install WebGuard component by the following steps:
1. Select Start → Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs (for Windows XP) or Programs and Features (for Vista and Windows 7). In the list of programs, select “Avira AntiVir Personal – Free Antivirus”
How can I remove the Avira Toolbar (Ask Toolbar)?
1. Press Start → Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs (for Win XP) or Programs and Features (for Vista and Windows 7). Make sure you select “Avira SearchFree Toolbar plus WebGuard” In the list of programs, as shown in the screen below:
2. Click on the Uninstall button and Answer Yes to confirm that Avira Toolbar will be removed
Please note that by uninstalling Avira Toolbar, WebGuard component will be no longer available.