Good news for those interested in using The Document Foundation’s LibreOffice rather than Oracle’s OpenOffice or OpenOffice.org, the first stable release of LibreOffice, LibreOffice 3.3, is now available for free download.
LibreOffice is a free, open-source personal productivity suite that is compatible with other major office suites, and available on a variety of platforms. This freeware servers all your document production and data processing needs: Writer (word processing), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (vector drawings), Math (equation editor), and Base (database). Support and documentation is free.
LibreOffice is a fork of the famous project OpenOffice project which is now under Oracle. So you can expect to find all of the features offered in v3.3 of Oracle’s office suite, But LibreOffice also has a number of unique features including:
- Ability to import and work with SVG files
- More helpful Navigation Tool for Writer
- Microsoft Works and Lotus Word Pro document import filters
- Simple way to format title pages and numbering in Writer
- Improved ergonomics for sheet and cell management in Calc
- PDF import
- Slide-show presenter console
- Improved report builder
- Improved WordPerfect importer
Free download the latest version of Libreoffice from this link. LibreOffice runs on Windows, Linux (ubuntu, debian, etc.), and Mac OS X computers. Installing LibreOffice is same as that of installing OpenOffice, simple and fast.