At D9 Conference Microsoft shown off Windows 8’s new Metro Style user interface (check out the video embed below), the tile-based Start screen (just like in Windows Phone 7), which replaces the Windows Start menu with a customizable, scalable full-screen view of apps. Win8 tile-based start screen provides notifications, up-to-date information from installed apps and allows you to launch apps quickly from its tile-based screen. You can also drag and resize app to side of the screen.
While the official release of the new OS isn’t expected to be until sometime in 2012, theme developers are already trying their hand to port Windows 8 theme to the current Windows 7 OS. Recently we shared Windows 8 Metro Style Clock and Logon Screensaver, as well as Start Screen Metro-Inspired Homepage for web browsers, Now here is something more interesting and awesome!
“Omnimo 4″ is a Windows Phone 7 inspired multifunctional interactive desktop information center based on Rainmeter, a desktop customization platform that features tools that can display various information on desktop. Ominimo 4 exactly brings the Windows 8 tile-based screen along with immersive interface for your Windows 7. Every interactive tile gives you information at a glance, and can be easily customized to your needs. Unlike the initial Metro design, Omnimo gives you limitless customization potential, you can customize just about every aspect of it!
How to install Omnimo 4
1. You need to install Rainmeter 2 or higher in your Computer before downloading and installing Omnimo skin. Rainmeter 2.1 Beta is recommended as it adds Aero Glass, NowPlaying and Twitter functionality.
2. Download Omnimo 4 skin for Rainmeter and extract the contents of the zip pack. Addons/extras/customization guide is also available from that link.
Setup.rmskin – self extracting installation file for rainmeter containing the suite
readme.rtf – contains FAQ, read it in case you run into any problems
ClearVS – a clear taskbar visual style
3. And then just double click the Setup.rmskin file. It should install everything automatically and you will be guided by the Intro.
3. After the installation, from Omnimo 4 setup screen select your settings then select Start Screen theme from “Windows Phone 7”, “Windows 8 Start Screen” and “Blank theme” after that, click the highlighted resolution and you’re done. Don’t worry if your desktop resolution is not included, you can move things around to your liking anyway.
4. Your Windows 8 Metro Style tile-based Start Screen for Windows 7 / XP is ready, you can then add or remove by clicking + button on the desktop and then click on the panel you want to add.
Omnimo works on Windows XP, but you need Vista/7 for the aero glass effects.