You don’t need me to remind you how annoying and frustrating it is to use a slow computer. Although Windows 7 is already very fast and reliable, but we will guide you to getting the max performance out of your system.This tutorial is intended to increase the performance of Windows 7, it can be either a new installation or an older Windows 7.
How to Make Your Windows 7 computer run Super Fast like new?
1,Following is a registry file containing a few registry modifications, which are completely safe and can increase the performance of Windows. Just download and extract the file, then run the file:
Download Registry Script For Windows 7
Restore Default Settings (Use this file if you want to restore default Windows settings)
If you are concerned about what is this registry filet to do in your system, then here is a description of all the optimizations in this file:
- Adds “Copy To” and “Move To” options in files and folders context menu, so that you can easily copy and move them to other locations.
- Sets Windows to automatically end task of programs which are either hanged or taking longer time than expected to exit.
- Decreases menus show delay time, it’ll show the sub-menus fast when you select their parent menu.
- Disables the low disk space check so that you don’t get the annoying low disk space notification in system tray.
- Sets Windows to not waste time in searching for a program which no longer exists in your system when you try to open its shortcut.
- Disables “search on Internet” prompt in “Open with” window so that it directly opens the program list.
- Speeds up the Explorer navigation.
- Adds “Take Ownership” option in files and folders context menu so that you can easily take ownership of files and folders in case you want to replace them for customization purpose.
2,Right click on My Computer icon on the desktop and choose Properties (or press Win + Pause / Break key). Now click on “Advanced system settings” link in the left side pane (You can open it directly by sysdm.cpl command RUN or start menu search box). Now click the Settings button in Performance section:
It will open another window. Disable all unnecessary options in Visual Effects tab, you can activate the following options to meet your requirements:
Enable Aero Peek (If you want to use Aero Peek feature)
Enable desktop composition (If you want to use Windows Aero theme)
Enable transparent glass (If you want to use transparency in Windows)
Show thumbnails instead of icons (If you want to show thumbnails in Explorer)
Show window contents while dragging (If you want windows to show contents while moving them)
Smooth edges of screen fonts (If you want to show smooth fonts)
Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop (If you want to show shadows under desktop icon labels)
Use visual styles on windows and buttons (If you want to use Windows Aero or Basic theme)
3. Open Windows Explorer and go to “Organize -> Folder and Search Options” and click on “View” tab.
Then disable following options(as picture shows):
- Display file size information in folder tips
- Hide extensions for known file types
- Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color
- Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items
4. Right-click on Computer icon on Desktop and select Manage .Now go to Services & Applications -> Services. Here you can set a few unnecessary services to Manual, so that these services don’t start automatically with Windows and you can get a faster startup.
Visit following link to know which services can be set to MANUAL to speed up your windows 7 system performance:
Services that can be Safely Set to disabled or MANUAL in Windows 7
5,Type msconfig in Startmenu search box or run, and press Enter. Now go to Startup tab and disable your unwanted startup entries. You can disable your graphics card’s driver utility, Sound Card utility, etc to speed up the system startup and to increase system performance.
6,type mmsys.cpl in RUN or Startmenu search box and press Enter). Go to Sounds tab and select No Sounds in Sound Scheme section. You can always enable some of your favorite sounds,but make sure to set Exit Windows, Windows Log off, Windows Logon and Start Navigation to (None).
Also remember to disable “Play Windows Startup sound” option to disable the sound clip which is played at the system login screen.
7. Also keep in mind to:
Defrag the hard disk regularly
Install only necessary software
Use the latest device drivers
Keep your Windows up-to-date
I believe that after following all the above steps, you’ll definitely notice major improvements in your Windows 7 performance.cheers!
You can aslo use a PC utility software to achieve the same purpose,such as Advanced SystemCare Pro from Iobit