The recently released Windows 8 Developer Preview build comes with lots of new features and enhancements, and among them are the new Metro interface, ribbon toolbar and redesigned Start menu. However, some Windows 8 users have failed to fall in love with the new Metro interface and ribbon toolbars, and are looking for the ways to disable them. Earlier, we have covered a freeware tool called Metro Controller to enable and disable the entire Metro UI and/or Windows Explorer Ribbon in Windows 8. Metro UI Tweaker for Windows 8 is another free tweaking utility that enables you to customise Windows 8 to suit your liking.
Metro UI Tweaker is a tiny freeware utility to enable/disable Windows 8 Metro features with a mouse click. Using this tool, you can partially or completely disable the Windows Metro UI, as well as add Log Off, Switch user, Lock, Sleep, Restart and Shutdown and applications/files shortcuts to the Metro UI Start Menu Screen.
Metro UI Tweaker for Windows 8 allows you enable or disable the following Metro features:
- Disable Metro Start Menu: Disables only Metro Start Menu Screen. This function requires editing a System File. It does not remove the file.
- Disable Metro Ribbon: Disables only the Metro Ribbon UI. This function requires Taking Ownership of a System File. It does not remove this file.
- Disable Metro Start Menu and Ribbon: Disables the Metro Start Menu UI, Ribbon UI, Metro Task Manager UI and the Lock Screen.
- Enable Metro Start Menu and Ribbon: Re-enables all available Metro UI options.
In addition, you can also make a number of additions to the Start menu to provide access to the options and programs you use most often:
- Add Power Options to the Metro Start Menu Screen: Logoff, Switch User, Lock, Sleep, Restart and Shutdown
- Add any Application/File to the Metro UI Start Menu Screen: Some Applications/Files may not be available to you to add to the Metro Start Menu Screen. This program allows you to add those Applications/Files which would otherwise be unavailable.
Of course, you need to restart your Windows 8 to apply these settings.
Download Metro UI Tweaker for Windows 8 from softpedia
Metro UI Tweaker for Windows 8 works on Windows 8 Developer Preview (both 32 & 64-bit).
On first run the program will generate a folder in your Windows Directory labeled Metro UI Tools. This folder is to keep your Power Option apps in places without worrying about them having to be moved. Once generated and the files are unpacked from the program, do not remove the folder or the Power Apps from this folder as these options will no longer be available and may generate errors.