Download Avast! FREE Anti-Virus For Mac OS X – There was once a time when Mac OS X users enjoyed “security by obscurity.” Because of the much smaller number of Mac users in the world, hackers didn’t bother targeting Apple desktops and laptops. However, as Apple products grow in popularity, those days are long gone, they’re increasingly attractive targets to the bad guys. So, it’s advisable to protect your Macs using a reliable security software to ensure that your Mac is as safe as possible from the latest and legacy virus, malware, Trojan horse, spyware and other emerging threats. Avast! FREE Anti-Virus 7 For Mac OS X is a nice choice then.
Based on Avast’s flagship security software, avast! Free Antivirus 7 for Mac offers three shields, on-demand scanning, and WebRep clients which are automatically (optionally) installed to Safari, Chrome and Firefox browsers. The Web Shield and Mail Shield combine to check the vast majority of incoming data from the Internet, while File Shield scans all programs stored and executed from your hard drive. Everything is packed in a brand new GUI.
Avast! FREE Anti-Virus For Mac OS X Key Features:
- avast! Free Antivirus for Mac now contains the same light, award-winning, certified, and highly acclaimed antivirus and anti-spyware engine as its avast! version 7 Windows counterpart.
- Guard your Mac from infected files: the new File System Shield performs real-time scanning of opened/executed files, to stop infection before it spreads. If you prefer, you can set a list of files and/or directories that you would like to exclude from scanning.
- Shield yourself from increasing web-spawned threats: the new Web Shield for Mac transparently scans all visited web pages (port 80), downloaded files, and java scripts, supports IPv6 connections, and – with its intelligent stream scanning feature – doesn’t slow your surfing.
- Improve your Mac email security: the improved Mail Shield monitors and filters all POP3 and IMAP traffic coming from mail servers on the internet. The File Shield prevents any infected attachments from causing harm to your system.
- Know what’s coming before you click: The browser plugin for the cloud-based WebRep technology provides website reliability and reputation ratings according to community-provided feedback, as well giving you greater protection against phishing sites and fake/planted SSL certificates. Now extended to support Safari.
- On-demand scanning: It’s possible to scan the whole file system, network volumes or a mounted removable volume. You can also run a custom scan. Scan reports are automatically archived and are accessible from the GUI at anytime.
- Automatic updates: The scanning engine is automatically updated with our regular VPS database updates.
To run avast! Free Antivirus for Mac (Beta) your system must meet the following criteria:
- Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard), 10.6.x (Snow Leopard), 10.7.x (Lion)
- Intel-based Mac
- Please note that avast! may not run properly if you have other antivirus software installed.
Avast! FREE Anti-Virus is available as a free download from avast official website ( Avast! FREE Anti-Virus For Mac OS X is
currently in beta, hope Avast! will release the final stable version soon).
[Updated]: Avast! FREE Anti-Virus 7 For Mac OS X is now out of beta, so I update this post and change the date published for this post to make it up. [/Updated]