Surprisingly all of a sudden, the well-known security software provider Bitdefender has quietly released its free antivirus product for Windows operating system: Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition, the company’s first attempt to make major inroads into the free security software market. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition integrates the most advanced virus detection technologies with an innovating and daring design, that reduces the time and effort needed for administrating it.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition comes with a very simple interface that is easy to navigate, and shares the same award-winning antivirus technology included in Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 software. It is designed to be fast and to minimize user interaction, while sacrificing nothing of the malware detection and removal capabilities that Bitdefender products are generally known for. By default, Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition scans and cleans your system using only the resources that you, your software or your operating system are not using, thus achieving near-zero impact on your activities. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition periodically scans all of your files and handles all security-related decisions for you. This means you will see no pop-ups, no alerts and you will not have to configure any settings whatsoever.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition Key Features:
- Real-time Shield. Virus Shield protection monitors your system and prevents virus infections in real time. This means that files are scanned as they are accessed or copied. For example, Bitdefender automatically scans the web traffic and the files you have just downloaded from the Internet are immediately scanned.
- Auto Scan is a light on-demand scan that silently scans all your data for malware and takes the appropriate actions for any infections found. When Auto Scan is enabled, Bitdefender permanently scans your entire system, using only resources you are not using so as not to interfere with your work. It will also perform quick Sweep scans the critical areas of the system after each reboot or update.
- Right-click On-Demand Scan. You may also scan files and folders whenever you suspect they might be infected. Right-click the file or folder you want to be scanned and select Scan with Bitdefender.
- Active Virus Control. Active Virus Control is an innovative proactive detection technology that is able to detect new potential threats for which default protection has not yet been released, very fast and accurately, thus providing an essential protection layer.
- Intrusion Detection System – This technology makes sure that applications trying to access the Internet or the network are not masked e-threats, by marking them whenever its behavior is suspect and by stopping them if the score becomes high.
- B-Have. A new technology based on behavioral analysis proactively detects unknown threats that other products miss by analyzing applications behavior in a safe environment. If no malicious actions are detected, B-HAVE starts the program normally; otherwise, it will automatically quarantine or delete it.
- HTTP Scanning. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition also scans all the links you are accessing from your browser, checking them for various scams or credit card phishing attempts and blocking them when they are unsafe.
- Anti-rootkit. This technology is used to scan and block rootkits, a stealthy type of software, often malicious, designed to hide the existence of certain processes or programs from normal methods of detection and enable continued privileged access to a computer.
- Zero questions & Configurations. A truly intelligent product can take decisions by itself. You will have no checkboxes to tick and decisions to “ok”. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition works efficiently without requesting input from you.
- Light. Automatic. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition uses an intelligent mechanism which can automatically take the optimum decisions to keep the defense levels high, in a manner that also avoids slowdowns.
So, apart from AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, Avira Antivir Personal, Avast! Home Edition, Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Antivirus +, and many other free anti-virus/anti-malware products, Windows users now have one more free antivirus program to choose from. Unlike most popular antivirus freeware, the best thing about Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is that it doesn’t include any toolbars and doesn’t show advertisements. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition gives you rare, discreet messages, on a need-to-know basis only.
Download Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition
Bitdefender Antivirus Free is compatible with Windows 7 (32 bit), Windows 7 (64 bit), Windows Vista (32 bit), Windows Vista (64 bit), Windows XP, as well as Windows 8, and requires at least 700 MB of free space. Download Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition from this page.
If you have tested BitDefender Free Antivirus Edition, do let us know your reviews in the comments section below.