After years of it being accessible only to those with an iOS device, the official Wikipedia app is finally available in the Android Market for all Android mobile phones and tablets running Android 2.2 or above.
Like the iPhone app, the Wikipedia for Android gives Android users access to over 20 million articles in 280 languages directly from their device. Other than that, features of the app include the following:
- Save article to read later or offline,
- Share articles using Android “Share” function,
- Check history of recently viewed pages,
- Full screen search,
- Using a phone’s integrated GPS, the app can search nearby locations for Wikipedia entries.
- Read any given article in a different language, rather than switching the language of the whole site.
Available in multiple languages, the Wikipedia for Android app can be downloaded now from the Android Marketplace. This is the initial version of app. Hopefully more features will be introduced in the future to make it more amazing.