McAfee avert stinger,released by McAfee’s AVERT labs,is a free tool, Stinger, that takes the sting out of many popular viruses and it’s definitely much more than a ‘feel good’ fix.It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system.
It utilizes McAfee scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.
How do I use Stinger to scan virus?
1,download “mcafee avert stinger“,Build Nr: 10.1.0.854] (04/30/2010)
2,Detects and removes threats identified under the “List Viruses” icon in the Stinger application.see below.
3,you can click the Add or Browse button to add additional drives/directories to scan. By default the C: drive will be scanned.
4,Click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the specified drives/directories.By default setting, Stinger will repair all infected files found.
5,If you want to enable Artemis Technology in stinger,just click on preferences and then select the required sensitivity level. If you select “High” or “Very High” ,we suggest that you set the “On virus detection” action to “Report only” for the first scan.
About McAfee Artemis Technology:it provides you with always-on real-time protection that safeguards and secures you from emerging threats. Artemis enables you to leverage the threat intelligence gathered by McAfee Avert Labs to prevent damage and data theft even before a signature update is available.
Frequently Asked Questions of mcafee avert stinger
- What is the List Viruses button used for?
- A list of the viruses that stinger is configured to detect is displayed when pressing the List Viruses button. This virus list does not contain the results from running a scan.
- How do I save the scan results to a log file?
- Click the File menu and select Save report to file
- I know I have a virus, but Stinger did not detect one. Why is this?
- Stinger is not a substitute for a full anti-virus scanner. It is only designed to detect and remove specific threats.
- How can I get support for Stinger?
- Stinger is not a supported application. McAfee Labs makes no guarantees about this product.
- Stinger found a virus that it couldn’t repair. Why is this?
- This is most likely due to Windows System Restore functionality having a lock on the infected file. WindowsME/XP users should disable system restore prior to scanning./li>
- Are there any command-line parameters available when running Stinger?
- Yes, the parameters are displayed when passing Stinger the /? switch:
- /ADL – Scan all local drives.
- /GO – Start scanning immediately.
- /LOG – Save the log file after scans.
- /SILENT – Do not display graphical interface.
- I ran Stinger and now have a Stinger.opt file, what is that?
- When Stinger runs it creates the Stinger.opt file that saves the current Stinger configuration. This way when you run Stinger the next time your previous configuration is what is used, as long as the Stinger.opt file is in the same directory as Stinger
- Where can I send feedback to regarding Stinger?
Millions of threats exist today.So,use McAfee avert stinger as a add on of your security software is surely a good choice.