Less than a month after it was released to manufacturing (RTM), Windows Thin PC, a low footprint, locked down version of Windows 7 that allows customers to repurpose aging PCs as thin clients without requiring the VDA (Windows Virtual Desktop Access) license to access VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) desktops, is now available for download for free from Microsoft.
Windows Thin PC (Win TPC) is the successor to Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (WinFLP) and is based on Windows Embedded Standard 7 Service Pack 1. The WinTPC offering is designed to let organizations with older PCs continue to use that hardware, repurposing it as thin clients running a “a smaller footprint, locked down version of Windows 7”. Win TPC doesn’t require the VDA license to access VDI desktops. The product helps reduce the cost of VDI at the endpoint, enabling IT with an enterprise ready platform to provide end users with an excellent thin client experience through the many unique features offered on their repurposed PCs. Some of these features include:
- Small footprint: WinTPC images are smaller than Windows 7 images, and hence have a lower attack surface.
- RemoteFX support, which ensures that users have a local-like virtual desktop experience.
- Write Filters that improve security by preventing any writes to the deck.
- BitLocker and AppLocker features that enables IT administrators to let users run only certain categories of software locally on the thin client.
- FEP (Forefront Endpoint Protection) support, which makes it possible to use a common set of malware protection tools for your desktops and thin clients.
Those who want to use WinTPC need to know that, Win TPC is not supported in a virtual machine such as vmware and it has restrictions on the applications that can be used. You can only run applications that fall into one of the following categories:
- Terminal emulation
- Remote Desktop and similar technologies
- Web browser
- Media player
- Instant messaging client
- Document viewers
- NET Framework and Java Virtual Machine
However, you cannot run any productivity applications, such as Microsoft Office or similar applications. Also, WinTPC is a product designed for business and it’s available to Microsoft’S Software Assurance customers for download from the Microsoft Volume Licensing site. In other words, this isn’t for home users. However, if you are not a Software Assurance (SA) customer you can still give Windows Thin PC a try:
- You can download the 90 day trial version available at the WinTPC home page, or you can download the .ISO file directly from this link.
- If you are a subscriber to Microsoft’s MSDN and TechNet programs you can also get the full copy of the product through your subscription.
- If you are part of the silver and gold partners in the MPN (Microsoft Partner Network) program you have access to the full product as part of the desktop and virtualization competencies.
- Also, You can get SA on your PCs by either subscribing to Windows Intune or Windows VDA. Both these subscriptions include SA benefits, including the right to Windows Thin PC.
Windows Thin PC Download Details
Product: Windows Thin PC
Part Number: Z5K-00002
Operating System Type: 32 bit
Total Download Size: 1503 MB
Download Format: ISO
Windows Thin PC System Requirements:
The recommended specifications for running Windows Thin PC are:
• 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) processor
• 1 GB RAM, 16 GB available hard disk space
• DirectX 9 graphics device with Windows Display Driver Manager
(WDDM) 1.0 or later version driver
• Bootable DVD-ROM drive