Good news for Norton fans. Norton by Symantec has released the public beta of version 6.0 of its ultimate all-in-one security suite Norton 360. Norton 360 v6 beta is available for free download from the Norton beta website, and includes the powerful core security technology found in Norton Internet Security 2012, in addition to enhanced PC tuneup and backup capabilities.
The Norton 360 Version 6.0 Beta is designed to deliver the strongest, most comprehensive protection for consumers, without sacrificing speed or performance. According to Symantec’s internal testing, the version 6.0 beta outperforms the award-winning Norton 360 version 5.0 on key performance metrics, including an average improvement of over 50 percent on file copy impact.
- Norton Protection System: Provides industry-leading security with four unique layers of powerful protection proven to proactively stop online threats before they can infect your computer.
- Norton Identity Safe in the Cloud – Protects personal and financial information from cybercriminals and keeps users safe from fraudulent websites. New streamlined interface, simplified login experience, and ability to store passwords in the cloud make accessibility easy from any computer with Norton Internet Security 2012 or Norton 360 version 6.0 beta installed.
- Norton Management – New web-based functionality lets users manage their Norton products from anywhere in the world. Users can remotely add Norton products, manage security settings and update subscriptions, making it simple to check on the health of their devices or fix issues without needing to be there in person.
- Download Insight Stability Ratings – Checks every downloaded file for safety before installation and now provides users with additional data about the predicted stability of the application in their environment based on the stability experiences of millions of other Symantec users.
- Bandwidth Management – Limits non-critical Norton updates when connected to metered networks to avoid using up monthly data allotments or causing overage fees.
- Norton Insight – Norton’s exclusive reputation-based security technology leverages the anonymous software adoption patterns of millions of contributing Symantec users to automatically identify and block never before seen malicious software.
- SONAR – SONAR technology monitors running applications for suspicious behavior to quickly detect and disable previously unknown threats.
- Parental Controls Management – Lets you track your kids’ online activities through award-winning Norton Online Family, so you can help protect them from online dangers.
- Norton Recovery Tools – help remove threats that can be deeply buried in a PC.
- Norton User Experience – From the streamlined main user interface, Norton 360 version 6.0 beta offers quick access to Norton Mobile Security Lite, Norton Cybercrime Index, Norton Online Family and website ratings service Norton Safe Web.
To download the Public Beta build, simply navigate to Norton Beta Center. After you complete registration, you will be emailed a Beta Subscription Activation Key to assist you in testing Norton 360. Each activation key can provide a maximum of 28 days of subscription time (7 days for installing + 7 days for activating + 14 days for Subscription Renewal) Once the Beta Subscription expires, please check back Norton Beta Center for the latest build. You will then be able to download the new build, and receive a new Beta Subscription Activation Key.
During the Public Beta period, you will be asked to create a new Norton Account. Norton use a Norton Account server designed specifically for Public Beta license keys. Because it is a different server, your Public Beta keys will not be stored with your Purchased Subscription keys, and your Retail Keys will not be available in the Public Beta version of Norton Account.
- The Online Backups you create with the BETA N360 v6 product will not be accessible with the released version of N360 v6, and will eventually be purged post-BETA. I would recommend that any data you backup with the BETA be saved elsewhere, and not to rely on this BETA backup as a primary backup.
- As always, remember that this is beta code and use on production systems is not recommended. Back up everything that is important to you. While we don’t expect any serious problems, regular back ups are a good thing regardless of whether or not you are using beta software.