Skype, one of the most famous VOIP (Voice over IP) service provider, has finally released its official app for Apple iPad and iPad 2 running iOS 4.0 or later. Skype for iPad is beautifully designed and optimized for the iPad that works over both Wi-Fi and 3G connections. The large iPad screen is perfect for bringing Skype video calls to life, in either landscape or portrait view, and because it is on the iPad, Skype video calls can be made at the beach, in a car or even lying on a couch.
Not only does Skype for iPad feature an interface that takes advantage of the large screen, but it also brings all of the features we have known and loved, to our favourite tablet. Now you can call, video call, or instant message anyone on Skype directly from your iPad. Plus, if you add a little Skype Credit, call landlines and mobiles at really low rates. In addition, the new Skype for iPad app also takes full advantage of the iPad 2’s dual cameras, allowing users to talk face-to-face with the iPad’s front camera or switch to the rear camera to show what they can see.
Skype for iPad App Key Features:
- Simple to use:
- Join Skype on our website or just sign straight in to your account.
- If you already have a Skype account, your Skype contacts will automatically be there on your iPad.
- We’ve made adding new Skype contacts really easy.
- Once they’re in your Contact list, call, video or instant message them in one touch.
- Flick through recent calls and instant messages in your Skype for iPad history.
- Skype for iPad works over Wi-Fi or 3G (operator data charges may apply). Call Skype contacts on their iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, PC, Mac and even Skype enabled TVs.
- Access free Skype features:
- Talk face-to-face or show what you’re seeing with front and back-facing cameras.
- Use Skype for iPad to call anyone else on Skype – and enjoy near CD quality (SILK) sound.
- Instant message and add emoticons to personalize your messages.
- Then unlock even more features when you pay a little:
- Make cheap calls to landlines or mobiles from your iPad.
- Get an Online Number from Skype so people can call you on your iPad.
- If you want to unlock these extra features, you can pay in a way that suits you.
- Pay As You Go with Skype Credit – great for when you’re using Skype every now and again.
- Pay monthly with a subscription – best if you use Skype a lot.
- Skype video calling requires iOS 4.0 or above.
- Send and receive video using front or back camera on iPhone 4, iPad 2nd Generation, and iPod touch 4th Generation.
- Send and receive video using rear camera on iPhone 3GS.
- Receive video only on iPad 1st Generation and iPod touch 3rd Generation.
- Works with any H264 compatible devices, including TVs.
Watch the Skype iPad app in action below:
Download Skype for iPad from apple iTunes.